Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Canadian cousin

So much has happened lately it is difficult to remember and to write it all down.
At the suggestion of my cousin Philippa I contact Heather Cowan who lives in Vancouver. Heathers mother Teresa (Auntie Tim to the Family) was Granny's sister so Heather is Dads first cousin.  She has been and continues to be a mine of wonderful information about life in Shanghai when her mother and Granny were girls. Granny was older than Auntie Tim and was apparently very naughty.
She used to go off on her pony in Shanghai and would be out all day with no one knowing where she was. Shanghai in those days was quite undeveloped and we have some pictures which show fields and woodland around the area that Granny and her family lived!
Her mother was at a loss to know how to control her so decided to have her exorcised!!! There is no evidence to suggest this did the trick because Granny was never a shrinking violet as far as I can remember.
Heather told me that the sisters lived the life of Riley. They changes several times a day. For riding, lunch, tennis, afternoon tea, dinner and dancing. 
Heather and I are in constant touch by email as I ask yet another question and she comes back with the most wonderful tit bits of information.
I am hoping Heather will come to England in July to a family get together and I will be able to meet her.
She sounds wonderful and still plays tennis at 82.

No comments:

Post a Comment