Thursday 6 June 2013

a little light shopping

When we got to Yangshou we got off the boat and as has often been the case we had to walk passed little shops in West Street.  The Zhuang Minority Group have amazing costumes and there was some to buy of course.  I was interested in hand made stuff not machine made even though the machine made stuff was actually really nice.

We found a shop where there were pieces from old jackets and I was taken by a piece from a sleeve.  It is (I say is because it is now mine!) embroidered with either lotus flowers or peonies.  I was particularly keen on this piece because Marie, my sister has some pieces from Granny Pardoes house. Sleeves from a Chinese gentleman's jacket which are wonderful.  Now I can frame it as they are framed and it will hopefully become a treasured family piece.

So far this is the first piece I have bought that was not on my imaginary list so in five weeks I have been quite good!!

There are some very beautiful things here and such clever people who are keeping up their traditions in their dress and customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment