Saturday 8 June 2013

Talking Rubbish

4th June

Hong Kong

Today when I got up I heard Tone and Ruy talking about a new proposal for managing household waste in Hong Kong.  Tone was telling Ruy that I had been involved in a similar plan in Hampshire a long time ago. You may not remember or you may never have known that I was responsible in Hampshire for introducing a Waste Disposal plan for the whole of Hampshire about 20 years ago. I talk rubbish better than anyone you know!

Tony was telling Ruy this and it was suggested that it might be encouraging to the planners if I wrote a supportive letter to the daily papers. Having spent a lot of my early political life writing letters to the editor of my then local paper this seemed like a good plan.  So I did some homework and was in my element doing something that I was very interested in and going back to my political roots too.  By the end of the week the letter was written and sent off and we will wait to see if it is printed and if there is any response,  I was pleased to see so many similarities proposed that are the same as we did in Hampshire so successfully.

It seems very odd to me that a fast moving, energetic, prosperous city and territory like Hong Kong could not seem to grasp the basic benefits of  a proper waste management system in financial, environmental and power generation terms but we did not have a lot of time to come to a well thought out conclusion, perhaps there may be an opportunity to help further. (Tony

1 comment:

  1. You two make me laugh, but I would expect nothing less or different!

    ReplyDelete