Friday 4 January 2013

A very exciting day

Great excitement today as I have had an email from Peter Hibbard of the Royal Asiatic Society who has invited me to speak at an informal gathering of the RAS when we are in Shanghai.

He wants me to show the film we have of Grandpas time there and to compare our trip with Grandpas and to read from some of Granny's letters.

Peter has also done a lot of research for me us and is going to take us to the places there Granny and Grandpa lived over the time they were there.

Peter also sent me some more newspaper cuttings with details of Grannys exploits. She was the treasurer and secretary of the Ladies Paper Hunt Club!  This was clearly a paper chase on horseback.

Granny seemed to write using the pen name Elizabeth Pepys and is also mentioned quite extensively in reference to a pamphlet she wrote about gradening in Shanghai.

There is also a reference to her "Pretty Wedding" I wonder if she wrote the report.

Now I am looking for the hotel where they had their wedding reception and wondering if we might stay there instead of the one we are proposing. 

A very exciting developement

No comments:

Post a Comment