Friday 4 January 2013

Finding out about Shanghai

Once we had the trip fixed as far as is possible we started to think about how much we could find out about Grandpa and Granny's time in Shanghai.
I thought they lived at Columbia Road and googled it.
It is now called  Panyu Road                          
I found reference to Columbia Road on a blog site written by  Robert Bickers. He was interested in JG Ballard, author of Empire of the Sun and had researched JGs story. JG lived in Amehurst Avenue in Shanghai which has a junction with Columbia Road so I got very excited imagining our families knowing each other and I got quite carried away with the prospect. 
Robert Bickers went to Shanghai and met up with a chap called Andy Best who showed him round. It makes interesting reading and if you google JG Ballard in Shanghai you will find the story.
JGs house is now a restaurant and has its entrance on Columbia Road. This should make finding Grandpas house less difficult if indeed it still exists.
I have emailed Any Best who still lives in Shanghai and he has promised to send me some pics of what he thinks is the house where Grandpa lived
Tony and I have a friend who keeps his boat in the same marina as we keep Concordant. Steve works regularly in Shanghai so he too has been doing some research for us.  He went with some Chinese(I think) colleagues on a recent visit to search for the house.  He said his colleagues were more interested in finding the house than in finishing the work they were doing for him!
I have also been in touch with the Royal Asiatic Society who have given me some details of other addresses where Grandpa lived.
All in all I think we should be able to pin down where the house is or was so our visit should be exciting.
Of course other places where Grandpa and Granny went are possibly still there.
From Grandpas diary of his trip we see that he went to the races on the day he arrived. Although the racecourse is not still there I think you can identify where it is.
Andy Best also mentions a Country Club and a riding school. I have a pic of Granny dressed for riding and she mentions it in her letters of 1926 so I winder if it is the same one.

No comments:

Post a Comment